By Kathy Halbert
I am going to list a few websites on plein air painting that you might find interesting and helpful with many tips.
- http://www.artistsnetwork.com Select Blogs and select blog of your choice. Select older posts when finished with page. You may also use the search box in the upper right and insert plein air, for example. The Forums tab contains useful links to forums on wetcanvas.com . Of particular interest is the Plein Air Forum.
- MichaelChesley Johnson:
- Aritisti’s Network: pastel-pointers-blog . Richard McKinley (RMcK). Blog on Artist’s Network
- blogspot.com but see demo under acrylic also
- finkeldeistudio.com many very informative articles on color mixing and on photography
- Demonstration by Larry sellers on painting (en plein air) a large acrylic “oil painting” style (4 pages- get to subsequent page by clicking next page at the bottom) http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Acrylics/Waterfall/ Spoiler alert: you will need Liquitex “Matte Opaque Extender Gel Medium” (formerly called Gelex)
A small selection of contemporary Artists I admire (bias toward oil):
- Doug Higgins (a neighbor and master artist; I have painted outdoors with him many times)
- Albert Handell (a Santa Fe master artist, one of my inspirations for moving to the southwest)
- Matt Smith (still interested in attending a workshop or class; well regarded by many master artitsts)
- Kevin Macpherson (haven’t yet taken a class but have studied and followed every demo in each of his books)
- Alvaro Castagnet